Andrew Bestafka, Monmouth County Divorce Lawyer

Smart & Cost Efficient Representation in
Divorce, Custody & Family Law

Contact Us Today!

Monmouth County Sole Custody Lawyers

For many people, their children are the most central part of their lives, and seeing to their interests in times of crises and change such as a divorce is their top priority. The physical custody of a child is an incredibly pivotal part of their upbringing, and it is essential that you do everything in your power to ensure that your child’s custody situation reflects their best interests as well as your own. Sometimes certain qualities, characteristics, or circumstances make your partner an unfit or unstable parent for a child, in which case seeking sole custody may be best for you and your child.

At the Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq., we understand how delicate and emotionally trying divorce proceedings can be, and our compassionate legal team will work directly with you to help you reach a settlement which grants you as much access as possible to your child. To learn more about your rights and legal options, call our experienced Monmouth County sole custody attorneys today at (732) 898-2378.

Deeming a Parent Unfit

Sole custody is becoming less and less common in family law courts throughout the country, including New Jersey. In most cases, joint custody arrangements in which both parents have a more active role in the life of the child are granted unless one of the parents is deemed to be unfit. However, in cases where a parent displays any of the following criteria, the court will typically award sole custody to the other parent:

  • Alcohol or drug dependencies
  • Charges of child abuse or neglect
  • A new partner who is unfit

Even when sole custody is granted to one parent, certain parenting rights may be retained by the non-custodial parent or they may be given visitation rights.

Contact Us

When the custody of your child is at stake, you want the most qualified and competent lawyers on your side, supporting you. A Monmouth County sole custody lawyer will work to ensure the needs of you and your children are being met. For a free consultation to discuss the details of your case, call the Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq., today at (732) 898-2378.