Covid-19 Update:

The Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq. is taking a safe but proactive approach to the Coronavirus situation in our law practice. We are working every day to represent our clients. We are offering frontline healthcare workers at CentraState free Simple Wills. To read more please Click Here

The days ahead may be a challenge. But we will continue to work to take care of our client’s cases and to take on new matters and clients. We will simply manage your case in less traditional, more technology-driven ways, that are safer for your health and ours.

Please stay healthy and contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding your case or a new matter for us to consider.

Basic Child Custody Rights

Although many custody rights may need to be established through decisions or agreements in the process of custody hearings, some are inherently awarded to custodial parents. As courts typically try to award a custodial agreement that allows for a child to have a relationship with both parents, many parents will be granted basic custodial rights, except when a parent is deemed an unfit parent. As a parent in Monmouth County, our team at the Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq., understands that knowing these rights is critical when going through a divorce and developing a custody agreement.

Inherent Custody Rights

Certain custody rights may require special legal action to change or modify. These rights, if violated by another custodian, may be enforced through a lawsuit as well. These persistent rights include the following:

  • The right to communicate with a child’s school and attend school functions
  • The right to consult with a doctor about a child’s healthcare
  • The right to make healthcare decisions in case of an emergency
  • The right to be included as a parent in a child’s estate
  • The right to be listed as an emergency contact for a child
  • The right to receive information or updates about a child’s health, education, and welfare

These parental rights are important and may be enforced by legal action. If a custodian violates these rights, the wronged parent may be entitled to take legal action against the violating parent.

Contact Us

If your custody rights have been violated by your child’s other custodian, a lawyer from the Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq., can help you through the process of taking legal action to protect your rights regarding your custody. For more information about how we may be able to assist you with your custodial rights, call (732) 898-2378.