Covid-19 Update:

The Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq. is taking a safe but proactive approach to the Coronavirus situation in our law practice. We are working every day to represent our clients. We are offering frontline healthcare workers at CentraState free Simple Wills. To read more please Click Here

The days ahead may be a challenge. But we will continue to work to take care of our client’s cases and to take on new matters and clients. We will simply manage your case in less traditional, more technology-driven ways, that are safer for your health and ours.

Please stay healthy and contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding your case or a new matter for us to consider.

Can You Get a Child Support Order Enforced Out-of-State?

Custodial parents owed child support from a child’s other parent may be faced with significant troubles if the other parent moves out of the state. This is especially true if a parent uses this as an excuse not to pay or follow the child support agreement. However, this isn’t the case. In fact, most states have uniform child support enforcement laws and are extremely willing to work with each other to help enforce child support agreements.

At the Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq., we understand the frustrations and stress a beleaguered parent in Monmouth County is likely facing when trying to enforce a child support order. Fortunately, you are not alone and can get legal help to make sure your child support agreement is being followed properly.

Enforcing Child Support Orders outside New Jersey

Child support orders work across most states’ through the widely adopted Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA). This law affords parents seeking justice across state lines an easier time to get their child support order enforced quickly. In fact, if a delinquent parent moves to another state, the other parent can:

  • File the original order with the new state of residency, allowing for full legal enforcement
  • File a claim with the delinquent parent’s employer for wage garnishment
  • File a lawsuit with the new state of residency after the order is established in the new state, allowing for possible criminal penalties for long-term delinquency or contempt of court

The severity of these legal remedies may largely depend on the various circumstances of the other parent’s delinquency. After all, a parent who has missed several payments may be much more likely to face severe penalties when compared to one that has only missed a single payment.

Contact a Child Support Lawyer in Monmouth County

If your child’s other parent hasn’t paid their fair share of child support and has left the state, you may still be able to enforce the court’s orders in their new state of residency. To find out how a lawyer from the Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq., can help you ensure your child support agreement is enforced, whether you live in New Jersey or your ex-spouse moved here in an attempt to escape paying child support, call (732) 898-2378 today.