Covid-19 Update:

The Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq. is taking a safe but proactive approach to the Coronavirus situation in our law practice. We are working every day to represent our clients. We are offering frontline healthcare workers at CentraState free Simple Wills. To read more please Click Here

The days ahead may be a challenge. But we will continue to work to take care of our client’s cases and to take on new matters and clients. We will simply manage your case in less traditional, more technology-driven ways, that are safer for your health and ours.

Please stay healthy and contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding your case or a new matter for us to consider.

Similarities and Differences between Separations and Divorces

When a couple is trying to work through their differences but need some time apart, they may consider separating, rather than applying for a divorce. When a couple gets a separation agreement, they are still legally married, but they are allowed to legally occupy separate residences and handle certain finances separate from their spouse. Sometimes people simply need time to work through their differences, and a separation agreement can offer this option.

If you or someone you know would like more information about the differences between divorces and a separation agreement, contact our knowledgeable Monmouth County divorce lawyers of the Law Office of Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq., today by calling (732) 898-2378 to discuss your situation.

What is a Separation Agreement?

The state of New Jersey does not permit legal separation, but establishing a separation agreement can still allow a couple to work through their differences while avoiding a divorce. Like divorce, separation agreements can involve negotiations regarding:

  • Child support
  • Spousal support
  • Property division
  • Asset division
  • Domestic altercations
  • Debt division

While many separation agreements do not result in divorce, these types of separation can give a couple time to figure out exactly what they need and want for their marriage and may give them an idea of what divorce might be like. The essential difference between a separation agreement and a divorce is that you are still legally married (and, therefore, financially tied to your spouse) in a separation agreement, while a divorce results in total separation.

Contact Us

If you or someone you know is involved in domestic issues and is considering getting a separation agreement or divorce, contact our experienced Monmouth County divorce lawyers of the Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq., at (732) 898-2378.

Related Posts: