Covid-19 Update:

The Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq. is taking a safe but proactive approach to the Coronavirus situation in our law practice. We are working every day to represent our clients. We are offering frontline healthcare workers at CentraState free Simple Wills. To read more please Click Here

The days ahead may be a challenge. But we will continue to work to take care of our client’s cases and to take on new matters and clients. We will simply manage your case in less traditional, more technology-driven ways, that are safer for your health and ours.

Please stay healthy and contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding your case or a new matter for us to consider.

Andrew Bestafka, Monmouth County Divorce Lawyer

Smart & Cost Efficient Representation in
Divorce, Custody & Family Law

Contact Us Today!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Divorce impact on financial aid explained by CBRG co-chairs

With divorce affecting nearly half of all married couples by 2016, old unions that share nearly adult children will need to discuss how their divorce will affect their child’s financial aid.

The co-founders of College Benefit Research Group (CBRG), Steven Sirot and David Slater, assert that “assets that are agreed to be used to pay for college should be segregated into custodial accounts for each child separately.”

Sirot and Slater further discuss the effect of divorce on financial aid through the possibility of remarriage: “If the custodial parent gets remarried, the new spouse’s financial information is then considered, which could have devastating effects on the family’s financial aid eligibility.”

It would be a good idea to begin discussing the financial future of you children as early as when child support begins. Contact an attorney with Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq. at (732) 898-2378 to discuss legal assistance in creating child support terms or obtaining child support.

Dwight Howard sued after falling behind on child support payments

The mother of one of Dwight Howard’s children, identified only as “Tiffany,” filed a lawsuit against the Houston Rockets star over unpaid child support, according to a report by the New York Daily News on June 10.

The woman is also seeking a larger payment, saying that their 4-year-old child has to face the challenges of being the child of a celebrity father. The lawsuit claims that the basketball star has been behind on his child support payments for several months now, as he has been only paying half of the $10,000 they agreed on in 2013.

Securing a favorable child support agreement is often not the end of child support issues. There are times when you may need to seek legal support to enforce or modify these agreements. Our team of Monmouth-based child support attorneys at the Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq., is willing to be of help. Call us today at (732) 898-2378 to discuss your situation.

Child support dispute brewing between Chris Brown and his ex

Chris Brown has allegedly stopped paying child support for his daughter Royalty after his ex, Nia Guzman, demanded that the payments should increase from $2,500 to $15,000, a report by The Daily Mail stated on May 25.

The report came after the award winning singer brought his 11-month-old daughter to the Billboard Music Awards in Las Vegas this weekend. According to the report, Brown has not been paying his former girlfriend child support since March. The report added that Guzman’s legal team is ready to file a petition to demand the new sum, on top of the missed payments.

Fighting for child support can be extremely challenging, especially when the other party refuses to provide you the financial assistance your child legitimately needs. At the Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq., we can help you secure your child’s future by advocating for the child support payments you need. Call our Monmouth county office at (732) 898-2378 to discuss your specific situation.

Man held on bail for $40,000 child support debt

According to the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Blotter, Samuel Parker faces charges of failing to pay child support that amounts to more than $40,000.  Earlier this month, Parker was arrested on New Jersey Superior Court warrants and a Millville Municipal Court warrant. He owes $40,364.41 in child support payments, in addition to a bail from county jail set at $2,502.

In most cases of child support issues in New Jersey, child support payments are calculated by using the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines. Appendix IX states three general guidelines for child support, including:

  1. Child support is a continuous duty of both parents
  2. Children are entitled to share in the current income of both parents
  3. Children should not be the economic victims of divorce or out-of-wedlock birth

Parker, arrested on charges of failing to pay child support, proves the extreme of New Jersey child support payment enforcement. Other, usually earlier, methods used to obtain payments include income withholding, credit reporting, seizure of assets, etc., and warrants for arrest typically come later, after other methods have been attempted.

Getting the child support that you need to adequately provide for your children is essential, and it is your right by court order. If your ex-spouse is not paying child support, you have a right to explore your legal options to make sure that you get it. The divorce attorneys of Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq., can help Monmouth County and other New Jersey residents learn more about what they can do to get child support, and may choose to represent your case.

How long will child support payments continue?

In most cases, divorces involving children include settlement agreements over child support payments. Typically, these payments will last until the child (or children) turns 18, at which point the payments will stop. This is not necessarily the case for every individual situation, so it’s important to speak with your lawyer about potential changes or other possibilities. One other thing to consider: if your spouse unexpectedly stops paying child support and you do not know why, you should immediately speak to an experienced child support attorney.

If you have questions regarding child support payments or divorce in general, the experienced attorneys of the Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq. may be able to help. Contact our offices in Monmouth County today by calling (732) 898-2378 to learn more about how we can help you through any of your divorce concerns.

Two Penns Grove men arrested in child support case

Two Penns Grove men were arrested after having outstanding child support warrants that totaled to nearly $12,000.

According to police in Salem County, a 32-year-old man was arrested because his child support payments totaled over $8,000. The other man had payments over $4,000. Both men were released from custody after making reduced payments of $200 each.

If you or a loved one has not been receiving the child support payments that you need in order to help buy essential items for your children. Contact the Monmouth County child support lawyers of the Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq, by calling  732-898-2378 today.

Rapper, DMX, allegedly owes $1 million in child support

Rapper DMX is being accused of owing $1 million in back child support, but the rapper has stated that the woman may be lying and a paternity test has been ordered to make sure that the child is his.

According to court records, the woman and DMX are currently in the middle of a paternity order and the woman claims that DMX now owes her over a million for their 10-year-old child.

Sources have stated that DMX is awaiting the results of a DNA test before he hands over what is allegedly owed. DMX has asked the court if he would be able to go overseas for a concert because it is usually not allowed for someone involved in a paternity case to leave the country.

Child support cases can be very stressful and difficult for a family. If you or a loved one are struggling to receive the child support payments that your child needs, you need representation that is committed to helping fight for justice. Contact the Monmouth child support lawyers of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq by calling (732) 898-2378.