Covid-19 Update:

The Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq. is taking a safe but proactive approach to the Coronavirus situation in our law practice. We are working every day to represent our clients. We are offering frontline healthcare workers at CentraState free Simple Wills. To read more please Click Here

The days ahead may be a challenge. But we will continue to work to take care of our client’s cases and to take on new matters and clients. We will simply manage your case in less traditional, more technology-driven ways, that are safer for your health and ours.

Please stay healthy and contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding your case or a new matter for us to consider.

Man held on bail for $40,000 child support debt

According to the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Blotter, Samuel Parker faces charges of failing to pay child support that amounts to more than $40,000.  Earlier this month, Parker was arrested on New Jersey Superior Court warrants and a Millville Municipal Court warrant. He owes $40,364.41 in child support payments, in addition to a bail from county jail set at $2,502.

In most cases of child support issues in New Jersey, child support payments are calculated by using the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines. Appendix IX states three general guidelines for child support, including:

  1. Child support is a continuous duty of both parents
  2. Children are entitled to share in the current income of both parents
  3. Children should not be the economic victims of divorce or out-of-wedlock birth

Parker, arrested on charges of failing to pay child support, proves the extreme of New Jersey child support payment enforcement. Other, usually earlier, methods used to obtain payments include income withholding, credit reporting, seizure of assets, etc., and warrants for arrest typically come later, after other methods have been attempted.

Getting the child support that you need to adequately provide for your children is essential, and it is your right by court order. If your ex-spouse is not paying child support, you have a right to explore your legal options to make sure that you get it. The divorce attorneys of Law Office of Andrew A. Bestafka, Esq., can help Monmouth County and other New Jersey residents learn more about what they can do to get child support, and may choose to represent your case.